Thousands of Americans are detected suffering from fatal diseases like lymphoma or leukemia etc. every year. To treat these diseases stem cells are transplanted. To transplant stem cells people have to search for a matching donor. Usually, family members are considered as the best matching donors but if stem cells of any of the family members do not match with the patient then you will have to search for someone else who is ready to donate his/her stem cells. The introduction of stem cell donor registry has made it easier for the patients needing a donor to transplant their stem cells to get rid of their fatal diseases.
Who can be eligible to register with a donor registry?
To be eligible to be registered with a donor registry you will have to fulfill the following prerequisites:
- Your age should be between 17 and 35 years
- Your general health should be good
- You should be free from any infectious diseases including hepatitis B and C or AIDS/HIV etc.
- You should be free from any kind of health problems like blood diseases, cancer, heart problems or diabetes or dependency on insulin, etc.
- You should be willing to donate your stem cells to any patient
Understanding the eligibility terms
To become a registered donor of stem cells it is necessary to read about the process of donating stem cells as well as information about registration with a registry for donating stem cells. Before registering with a registry you must read the FAQs provided on the website of the registry so that you can make a well-informed decision.
Understanding the requirement of weight and height
To get the best results for the patient as well as for the safety of the donor, the donor must fulfill the requirements of weight and height. During the process of stem cell donation, you can be at a great risk if you do not meet the requirements of weight and height. Your donated blood may not be able to produce an adequate amount of stem cells as per the requirement of the patient.
Registering with a donor registry
The process of registering with a donor registry can become easier if you know about it.
- To register with a donor registry you will have to complete a questionnaire after reading the main information in this regard.
- You will have to create your online donor profile if you find that you fulfilled the eligibility prerequisites for this purpose. You can be asked to sign-in and complete the forms of registration and consent if you previously have an account with a registry.
- A self-swabbing kit will be provided to you through mail within 5-10 business days of fulfilling your forms with instructions about using the cheek or buccal swab. It will help you in determining the type of your HLA required for completing the process of registration.
Now the team of the stem cell donor registry will decide about registering you as a donor of stem cells.
Gift of Life Marrow Registry Also Offers Following Services :
Gift of Life Marrow Registry Address: 800 Yamato Rd suite 101 Boca Raton, FL Phone: (800) 962-7769